Jan 15, 2011

Good News and Bad News

Our Thursday appointment with Dr. Ondrula was postponed because he had, as it turned out, an 8-hour emergency surgery to deal with. So we had it Friday morning instead. The two pieces of news from this visit (besides having my staples removed, which you probably don't want or need to know about) were that:
  • My cancer is considered "Colon Primary", meaning that it is related to my previous rectal (or colorectal) cancer. Given that I knew I had cancer before this visit, I was actually somewhat glad that it turned out to be this compared to a new lymphoma cancer. I don't know if I will receive the same chemo treatment as I did before but at least we're going after the same thing as before. I was concerned about a new cancer and not knowing what treatment of that would be like. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.

  • All of the cancer cells were removed with the biopsy. I had thought the biopsy would get a "sample" of the cells, from which a lot could be determined. But Dr. Ondrula decided to "go for it all" as long as he was in there. I still will need chemo, as there could still be traces of cancer cells still elsewhere in my body and the chemo should find and kill them. I cannot understate what a fantastic surgeon Dr. Ondrula is. I have been so fortunate and so blessed to have him for my surgeon.

So I guess it is now reasonably safe to say that for the second time I have had cancer removed from my body. Hopefully it's all been gotten this past time, but if not, the chemo will get the rest. So while this week began with the news that my biopsy did show that I had cancer, it ended with the news that the cancer, at least from that area in my groin, has all been taken out. I should say that I feel fine with absolutely no symptoms of anything. Now my upcoming chemo will likely cause me some side effects, but I certainly hope and expect them to be temporary.

This "no symptoms" point leads to what I consider a major lesson learned by me in this case. I should have had a colonoscopy in my early 50's but I didn't. Too "awful" sounding, plus "no cancer history" in my family so I'll just wait, I thought then. I know better now, but that is water under the bridge at this point. Ultimately I started getting symptoms and again I waited. Only when I spotted blood in my stool did I finally do something about it (no, I didn't have "spotted blood"). The truth was that the cancer had been inside me for years (who knows how many). I had no symptoms for quite awhile until the tumor finally manifested itself and became physically large enough to cause them (the size of my fist). Even then I ignored them for too long. The end result? Five weeks of simultaneous chemo and radiation treatment followed by surgery to remove the tumor, a week in the hospital (during which I could barely walk for awhile), three more weeks of recovery at home, and finally 8 days of only a half day at work until I was again ready for full time.

This time one of my regular CEA blood tests detected a high count in a tumor marker (previous blood tests had been immaculate). This lead to scheduling a PET scan (delayed a month only due to insurance issues). An "increased activity" of cells in the scan led to the biopsy, the results of which I have discussed. But here's the thing. The instant there was a blip in my blood test, we did something about it. Ultimately I had the biopsy, for which I was just out a half day. That surgery is simply outpatient and I walked away from the hospital that afternoon and went to work a full day the next day. The "pain" was so minimal as to be hardly noticeable. Now the cancer is out of me and all I need is more chemo treatment.

The lesson to me? Early detection and action is absolutely key to (a) beating this and (b) minimizing the ill effects. I'll never ignore symptoms again, I'll tell you that.

So while I'm not necessarily looking forward to chemo, I'm glad that things are not worse than they could have been. And I will certainly hope that the chemo does its job, kills whatever tiny cancer remnants might be left, and significantly increases my chances that this never happens to me again. Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: